Publications
History of Uppingham - A Principal Town of Rutland by 1800. Written by Vivian Anthony. Published September 2015 This   small   settlement   on   a   plateau   above   the   Eyebrook   Valley   underwent   a   transformation   into   one   of   the   principal towns   in   the   county   of   Rutland.   It   saw   off   the   challenges   of   Ridlington   and   Lyddington   and   came   to   rival   Oakham   in size    and    importance.    Uppingham    benefited    from    the    involvement    of    the    De    Montfort    family    in    its    planned development   after   the   King’s   charter   for   markets   and   fairs   was   acquired   in   1281.   It survived   wave   after   wave   of invasions   and   settlement.   The   Corieltauvi   tribe   got   on   with   the   Romans;   and   successive   invaders   made   their   way   up the   Welland   Valley   and   settled   around   its   tributaries.   Over   time   the   area   known   as   Rutland   developed   its   identity   and eventually   its   special   position   as   part   of   the   dower   granted   to   the   Queen.   In   the   absence   of   great   lords   to   determine the   way   forward,   various   lesser   gentry,   yeoman   farmers   and   tradesmen   gave   the   lead.   In   times   of   religious   conflict, with   the   Rector   commonly   an   absentee,   it   was   the   churchwardens   and   curates   who   usually   made   the   pace.   Almost everyone   in   the   community   was   connected   in   some   way   with   the   land   and   all   were   affected   when   enclosure   and   the other   elements   of   the   Agricultural   Revolution   came   to   Uppingham   late   in   the   18th   century.   Occasionally   social discontent   spilled   over   and   a   rebellion   was   planned   but   whatever   the   problems   posed   by   the   poor   and   dispossessed Uppingham   was   largely   a   peaceful   and   prosperous   place   as   reflected   in   the   fine   Georgian   buildings   which   remain   to this day. Click here for more information. Price £19.95 Postage & Packing £3.00 Uppingham in 1851  - published March 2001, out of print. Click here to download A look at Uppingham on the night of Sunday 30 March 1851, its residents and the non-residents discovered, how people made   their   livings,   who   was   well   off   and   in   authority   and   who   wasn't,   how   people   were   housed,   connections   with surrounding   villages   and   what   it   was   like   to   live   here.   Besides   the   census,   maps,   court   rolls,   headstones,   rate   books, directories, the Stamford Mercury, deeds and old photographs are just some of the sources we have looked at. Uppingham in 1802  - published December 2002, few copies remaining. Click here to download A   description   of   some   aspects   of   what   it   was   like   to   live   in   this   old   market   town   in   the   early   nineteenth   century   with profiles   of   many   people   who   helped   shape   the   community   in   'The   Age   of   Improvement'.   Each part   of   the   town   is looked   at   in   turn   and   a   major   trade   or   occupation   associated   with   it   is   illustrated   by   studying   one   of   its   leading members.   The   Group   studied   and   analysed   the   complete   set   of   Stamford   Mercury   newspapers   published   in   1802 then   added   information   from   deeds,   diaries,   account   books,   rate books,   enclosure   records,   court   rolls,   parish   vestry records, photographs and illustrations. Price including p&p £3.50. The Making of Uppingham  - published August 2003, out of print. Click here to read on the web site. Professor   Alan   Rogers   draws   on   his   wide   academic   knowledge   to   look   at   this   old   market   town,   explaining   why   and how   it   started,   then   developed   as   it   did   and   what   influence   events   had   upon   the   buildings,   layout   and   townscape. Perhaps   his   most   surprising   conclusion   is   that   it   all   started   with   a   fifth   century   Saxon   farmstead   on   the   North   South footpath   close   to   today's   Crown   Inn   and   had   little   to   do   with   the   East   West   route   between   Stamford   and   Leicester until   later.   After   considering   what   might   have   existed   here   at   Domesday,   Alan   Rogers   discusses   evidence   for   a planned   medieval   town   then   discusses   surviving   Tudor,   Georgian   and   Victorian   features   and   the   people   whose influence shaped the town at each of these periods. Baptismal   Register   of   the   Congregational   Church   in   Uppingham   1785   to   1837     -    published    March    2002. Transcribed   in   full   by   members   of   the   Group   from   the   original   in   the   National   Archive   (PRO)   and   with   the   help   of   local knowledge,   it   is   printed   here   with   an   introduction   and   index.   Many   of   the   families   listed   came   from   surrounding villages   and   even   as   far   away   as   neighbouring   counties.   Of   great   value   to   family   historians   and   those   interested   in nonconformity in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Price including p&p £1.50p. The Development of Thorpe's Terrace , - out of print - Click here to download. Using   property   deeds   with   help   from   local   maps   and   sources,   Professor   Alan   Rogers   follows   the   development   of   the   Terrace from open field on the outskirts of the town to a terrace of workmen's dwellings, the builders, residents and usages. Morris' Buildings, Leicester Road - out of print. Known   locally   as   Frog   Island,   rate   books   and   maps   are   introduced   to   explain   the   development   of   this   intriguing   island until the time when deeds became available and from then to 1956. The White Hart, High Street West - Published August 2003 To   mark   its   acquisition   by   Uppingham   School,   it   is   a   brief   outline   and   summary   of   the   history   of   this   Tudor   wood- framed building recording earlier associated names and owners. Price including p&p £1.00p. Uppingham in Living Memory  - Snapshots of Uppingham in the 20th century. Part   I   Uppingham   at   War   published   November   2005   -   The   first   of   a   new   series,   bringing   together   historical   research into    aspects    of    wartime    Uppingham    with    personal    recollections    from    residents    of    the    town.    Out    of    print    - Click here to download . Part II Uppingham in Peacetime  - published December 2007 Covering   the   years   between   the   Two   World   Wars   and   the   early   part   of   the   second   half   of   the   twentieth   century. Articles   on   the   railway,   the   National   School,   womens'   organisations,   the   cinema,   sport,   etc.   Memories   from   local people and many photographs. Price including p&p £4.50. Other publications by members of the group H   H   Stephenson   A   Cricketing   Journey   -   Kennington   Oval   to   Uppingham   School   published   November   2009.   This Biography   tells   a   fascinating   story   of   the   Surrey   all-round   cricketer   Heathfield   Harman   Stephenson   (1833   —   1896).   In 1859   he   went   to   North   America   as   a   member   of   the   first   English   side   to   tour   overseas,   whilst   in   1861/62   he   captained the   first   English   team   ever   to   play   in   Australia.   Away   from   the   cricket   field   Stephenson   was   employed   for   many   years as   a   huntsman   to   the   Duc   d'Aumale,   of   the   exiled   French   royal   family,   at   his   country   estate   of   Claremont,   Esher,   and then   at   Wood   Norton,   near   Evesham.   When   his   first - class   cricket   career   was   over   he   became   a   cricket   coach   at Uppingham School where his influence was legendary. Price including p&p £6.50 The Story of Uppingham Methodist Church - written and published in 2017 by Margaret Stacey.   A   new   and   updated   edition   to   commemorate   the   church’s   bicentenary.   It   recounts   the   history   of   Methodism   in Uppingham from 1817 until 2017. Price including p&p £6.00 The   Story   of   The   Twin   Boards   -   published   in   2005   and   covers   the   period   1939-1945      when   the   Methodist school Kingswood   was   evacuated   to   Uppingham   and   formed   close   links   with   the   Uppingham Methodist   Church.   Out   of   print, Click here to download . Mary   Drake   and   the   Missionary   -    published   in   2010.   Mary   (1815—1901)   was   a      member   of   the   influential   Drake family   of   Uppingham   Methodists.   This   account   from   the   archives   is   produced   as   a   20   page   A5   booklet   and   is   sold   for £2 plus postage in aid of the Methodist Fund for World Mission. Click to download . The   Magnetism   of   Edward   Thring    -   An   edited   version   of   the   talk   given   to   the   Uppingham   Local   History   Study   Group June 2016 By Malcolm Tozer - Click here to download For orders and enquiries please Click here to contact us
Uppingham Local History Study Group